CNB News – Netflix on Saturday said that it would not be adding a disclaimer to its show “The Crown” in response to calls from British officials.
“We have always presented The Crown as a drama — and we have every confidence our members understand it’s a work of fiction that’s broadly based on historical events,” Netflix said in a statement. “As a result we have no plans — and see no need — to add a disclaimer.”
Last week, U.K. culture secretary Oliver Dowden said the show was a “beautifully produced work of fiction” but that it should be “very clear at the beginning it is just that.” He said he planned to send a letter to Netflix expressing his concerns.
“I fear a generation of viewers who did not live through these events may mistake fiction for fact,” Dowden said.
Charles Spencer, brother of the late Princess Diana, who is depicted in the show’s most recent season, expressed similar concerns
“I think it would help The Crown an enormous amount if, at the beginning of each episode, it stated that: ‘This isn’t true but it is based around some real events,'” said Spencer.
The Associated Press noted that issues with the show’s historical integrity were not brought up in its initial seasons, which depicted the early years of Queen Elizabeth’s reign, beginning in 1952. But the latest season, which depicts the events of the 1980s, has drawn criticism from a number of corners.
In July, it was reported that Netflix had renewed “The Crown” for a sixth and final season, despite early reports that the show would end after the fifth season.